Colorado State University is the sole owner of its name and the symbols, graphics and marks that identify or are associated with the University. All items bearing Colorado State University name, symbols, graphics, or marks must be produced by a licensed vendor.

Colorado State University partners with Learfield Licensing Partners (LLP). As of July 1, 2014, LLP manages the University’s licensing program including application processing, royalty collection, and art approval. (The licensing company formerly known as LRG was acquired by LLP–there has not been a change of licensing companies.)

Campus Resources

The attached list provides names of LLP internal licensed vendors. Internal vendors are preferred when ordering royalty-free products for CSU departments.

For a full list of vendors, visit LLP’s vendor list and search Colorado State University.

Vendor Resources

University Licensing Program Mission:

  • Protect the University’s claim to its logos and marks
  • Ensure the quality and consistency of all University merchandise
  • Generate revenue for athletic scholarships and other student benefits
  • Create a cooperative working relationship with manufacturers and retails who work with the University

This page is intended to assist licensed/interested vendors and the campus community in making licensing and purchasing decisions.

Licensing FAQs:

How do get licensed with LLP?
You may apply for a license from LLP’s website.

I have an existing license with LLP for other university work. Can I add CSU to that license?
Yes. Existing licensees may visit and fill out the form.

License rates
Licensing costs include:

  • $250 application fee for new licensees ($100 for existing LLP licensees)
  • $500 apparel advance
  • $150 non-apparel advance


How long will it take to approve our license?
LLP will process your new license within 2-4 weeks. Adding CSU to an existing license takes just a few days.

How do I get artwork approved?
Licensees with current LLP licenses must use their Trademarx system to receive art approval. The University licensing program coordinator checks this system for art daily. Visit Trademarx at

Licensing and Royalty Policy

  • Only licensed vendors may produce items bearing the University name, trademarks, or logos.
  • Unlicensed vendors that produce Colorado State University items are in violation of state and federal trademark law.
  • Internal department purchases must be supplied by restricted licensed vendors, but are royalty exempt.
  • Internal department purchases for external sales (e.g. t-shirts for fundraising) must be supplied by restricted licensed vendors. These purchases are royalty exempt as of July 1, 2014.
  • Learfield Licensing Partners (LLP) collects royalties from licensed vendors at the time of sale.

Getting Licensed

Vendors must be officially licensed to produce items bearing the University name, trademarks, or logos. Unlicensed vendors who produce Colorado State items are in violation of state and federal trademark law. You may apply for a license on LLP’s website

Colorado State University partners with LLP to protect, manage, and develop the CSU licensing program. LLP oversees the licensing application process, negotiates exclusive agreements, and collects royalties.

Colorado State University and LLP offer three types of licenses:

  1. Standard licenses allow vendors to produce products for resale, including the University Bookstore.
  2. Internal licenses allow vendors to produce products for campus departments, including promotional items and Sports Clubs uniforms.
  3. In-state (or local) licenses are for Colorado based vendors only. These vendors may produce products for resale or internal use.

Manufacturer’s Code of Conduct

All University licensed manufactures have agreed to abide by the Manufacturer’s Code of Conduct which follows below.

The following conditions are considered to be minimum requirements for licensees that desire to use Colorado State University’s name and trademarks on manufactured goods. Where local laws set higher standards, the higher standard shall be considered the minimum.

  • Health and Safety – All people have the right to work in a safe and healthy working environment.
  • Respect and Dignity – All people have a basic right to respect and dignity. No person shall be subject to any physical, sexual, psychological, or verbal harassment or abuse.
  • Discrimination – No person shall be subjected to discrimination on the basis of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, political opinion, or social or ethnic origin.
  • Child Labor – Children may not be exploited. No person shall be employed at an age younger than 15 or younger than the age for completing compulsory education in the country of manufacture – whichever is higher.
  • Forced Labor – No University products may be manufactured using forced labor of any kind.
  • Unions – All employees have the right to independent association and collective bargaining.
  • Fair Wages and Benefits – Employers shall provide a fair living wage that meets employees’ basic needs, and shall provide legally mandated benefits.
  • Hours of Work – Employees shall not be required to work more than 48 hours per week. Employees also are entitled to at least one day off in every seven-day period. Overtime shall not be considered mandatory and shall be compensated at a premium rate.

Frequently Asked Questions

What qualifies as a trademark?
Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark and is the sole property of Colorado State University.

What products should be licensed? By law, all products bearing a University trademark may only be produced by licensed manufacturers. This rule applies not only to merchandise sold commercially through wholesalers and retailers, but ALL distributors including university employees, students, alumni, fans, etc.

What is a royalty? A royalty is a fee paid by a licensee for the commercial use of a trademark. Items intended to be sold externally (eg. T-shirts for retail sale) are subject to royalties. Items intended for internal use by CSU employees (eg. uniforms) are exempt from royalties except if the internal use is the intended resale of the item for fund-raising.

Who needs a license? Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos and symbols of the University must obtain a license. No products will be licensed without the approval of the University through its representative, the Collegiate Licensing Company. This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and good taste and, denies approval of potentially hazardous items.

What if you do not get a license? All products must be approved by the University’s Trademark Licensing Office. Failure to obtain a license or approval from the University’s Trademark Licensing Office is a violation of federal trademark laws and will be grounds for seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the University’s marks. It can also result in jail time and numerous fines if convicted.

How is licensed merchandise identified? The “Officially Licensed Collegiate Products” hologram label identifies merchandise that has passed the standards of quality set forth by the University and certifies that a portion of the purchase is returned to the University.

Can you sell a product to the bookstore? The Colorado State University Bookstore works with a group of vendors to bring new products to market each year. For more information on the bookstore’s wholesale buying practices, contact the University bookstore.

Can an alumni or student groups sell products using the University’s marks as a fundraiser? Before contacting manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, be sure to check with the University Graphic Standards Office. The staff is able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

Can I use the University’s name or logo on a Web site? Every use of the University’s trademarks requires permission from the University Graphic Standards Office. The World Wide Web has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build Web pages with the University’s name and logos, and the University appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control its name and marks; therefore, the University must be very selective in granting permission in all instances. For more information, contact the University’s Graphic Standards Office.